Skip to main content

Can I Have contact with inmates while in foster care ?

San Antonio, TX |

i am a 17 year old foster kid and i have a boyfriend who is in prison , do i have the right to write him or talk to him ?

Attorney Answers 3


You have the rights your foster parents give you. If they know about that--they should put a stop to it. You'll be 18 in a minute and have the right to make all the bad choices you want then. In the meantime think about what type of relationship and person you deserve as a partner in the future.

This does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Dallas, Denton, Collin and Tarrant County, Texas practice area. Principal office located in Lake Dallas, Texas.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Your foster parents get to make that call. My guess is that they will say no.

Focus on relationships with people your own age who are available, as in 1) free to see you and go on dates, 2) not married or committed to someone else, and 3) emotionally ready to be a supportive partner. I think your boyfriend will fall short on at least one of those. You deserve all three.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You should run this by your foster parents and see what they have to say about it.

You have the free will to do whatever you would like, but there will always be consequences. Boyfriends that are not in the big house will generally make a better impression on foster parents and the community in general.

Statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section are not legal advice. No prudent person anywhere at any time should ever rely upon any statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section. There is no attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am not your attorney and there is no attorney-client privilege up until the moment that we have a signed engagement letter with a clear understanding regarding fees - at which point we will not be discussing your legal issue online on a public Q&A board that anyone in the world can view. You should find an attorney that can best represent your interests: using the Avvo lawyer search is one of many possible utilities online to collect names of lawyers you might be interested in meeting with offline to discuss your legal issue in full detail so the legal advice can be tailored to the specific facts of your legal issue.

Mark as helpful

1 comment



thank all of you for your feedback .. I appreciate it very much but one thing I would like to say on behalf of my boyfriend .... I honestly don't care what my foster parents think of him , I don't think I need there impression on him because when I had nothing .. he was there , he was the only person helping me get back in school , he actually called cps for me so that I can fix my life , I know he is in jail but for PAST altercations ... I just don't like people judging him but thanks again .