Can I have auto dealer arrested for keeping my deposit?

Jamestown, NY |

Gave dealer 200.00 for deposit and called at 9:45 next morning and told him to sell if he has someone come in and could buy it due to chance of not getting money to make purchase. All I received was a receipt with nothing that said the deposit would be nonrefundable. No other contractual forms were signed in regards to outcome of deposit if unable to purchase.

You can sue in small claims court for the money.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

This is not a criminal matter. This is a civil matter.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

I agree..this is not a criminal matter..it is a civil matter so all you can do is sue. Given the facts, it is not clear you would win..it would depend on what you discussed. He will say that he told you it was nonrefundable and that holding the car for you had a cost to him.

The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.