Can I have auto dealer arrested for keeping my deposit?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jamestown, NY

Gave dealer 200.00 for deposit and called at 9:45 next morning and told him to sell if he has someone come in and could buy it due to chance of not getting money to make purchase. All I received was a receipt with nothing that said the deposit would be nonrefundable. No other contractual forms were signed in regards to outcome of deposit if unable to purchase.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

1

Answered . This is not a criminal matter. This is a civil matter.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

1

Answered . You can sue in small claims court for the money.

3. Ian Edmund Scott

Answered . I agree..this is not a criminal matter..it is a civil matter so all you can do is sue. Given the facts, it is not clear you would win..it would depend on what you discussed. He will say that he told you it was nonrefundable and that holding the car for you had a cost to him.