Skip to main content

Can i have an attorney represent me at court if i do not live in the state where i have an upaid speeding ticket?

Pascagoula, MS |

two years ago i got a speeding ticket for sliding off the interstate,which i did not know you could get a ticket for. so i left the state not knowing that i had a ticket. about a month ago i found out that i have a warrent out for my arrest for the unpaid ticket. i live 2000 miles away from where i got the ticket and it is impossible for me to fly there and turn myself in. is there any way i can get an attorney to repesent me in court? and how do i go about getting an attorney in that city?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, you can get an attorney to represent you in another state. Try calling the Bar Association in that state and see if they have an attorney referral service or just Google attorneys in that state. I recommend that you interview 3 attorneys and get quotes from all three. Many times I can resolve the problem without the client having to travel. In the long run this saves you money and the possibility of a future headache down the road.

Kevin Thomas Stewart

Kevin Thomas Stewart


Mississippi does not have an attorney referral service concerning criminal charges through its bar association


Some matters can be resolved in court without you having to be present. It just depends on the court, the pending charges, and what action has been taken since you probably missed your court date. The Mississippi Bar does not have a referral system for attorneys in the state; however, you may search this website or others to find a competent attorney to handle this matter. Attorneys are permitted to practice law statewide so you do not necessarily have to have an attorney from the city in which you received your citation. You should speak with different attorneys and retain the one who has a good reputation, knows the law in regards to what you are charged, and you feel will provide you with the best service.


You should be able to hire an attorney, and do a plea in absentia. Essentially, the attorney will negotiate the case for you, and send you paperwork to sign and return to him. He will take the paperwork to court to enter your plea so you do not have to appear.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.


The best way is to often do an internet search for a traffic attorney for that state and city [example: Traffic Attorney Pascagoula MS]

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer