Skip to main content

Can I have a reckless driving speeding ticket expunged?

Woodbridge, VA |

In November of 2009 I received a reckless driving speeding ticket and was ordered by the court to spend 2 days in jail. Is there anyway I can have this offense expunged from my record?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. No. Virginia law relating to expungement does not allow expungement of records relating to offenses for which the person was found guilty.

    DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided as general information and is not to be considered legal advice, nor does it constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship.

    T. Kevin Wilson, Esq.
    The Wilson Law Firm
    DUI, Criminal & Traffic Defense...When Results Matter
    9300 Grant Avenue, Suite 301
    Manassas, Virginia 20110

    Telephone 888-DUI-LWYR
    Telephone 703-361-6100
    Facsimile 703-365-7988

    For important answers to other Frequently Asked Questions about DUI, Criminal and Traffic Offenses in Virginia , visit

  2. Agree with Kevin; however, because you apparently received a ticket and were not arrested for the Reckless Driving, you will not have an arrest record as a result of this incident. DMV only maintains the Reckless Driving conviction on your driving record for a limited number of years and the District Court that convicted you is not a court of record, so in a number of years the record of the conviction will be destroyed. In other words, in time, you stand a good chance for the record of this conviction to no longer exist

  3. However, if you are asked if you are ever asked on an application if you were ever convicted of a crime, you must answer yes. You were convicted of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

    [This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics