Skip to main content

Can I have a public record judgement removed from credit report

Teaneck, NJ |

consumer law

Attorney Answers 3


To remove a public record from a credit report, as a general rule, the public records needs to be undone. This could be done by having the judgment set aside, but it isn't an easy process. Hope this perspective helps!

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


Federal law governs what information may be published about you on your consumer credit report. A law known as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) is the applicable law that sets the rules for what may be reported about you.

Your inquiry is extremely vague, so it's tough to opine about your rights. Is the public record information accurate? If it doesn't belong to you, you should dispute it. If it's reporting the way that the court reflects in its docket (i.e., if by looking at the docket, it's reasonable to believe the judgment is attributable to you, even if it isn't), you are going to have to resolve it with the court first. As my colleague suggests, this may take some work on your end. It may necessitate hiring an attorney, or may be as simple as a call or visit to the Clerk of Court. It depends upon what the issue is.

If the information is in fact attributable to you (i.e., the judgment was entered against you), then it must be removed in accordance with the time parameters provided under the FCRA. Here is a link that may be helpful to you:;jsessionid=546F211C39710F5162F6EF3AF9EF64FF

Judgments may remain the longer of 7 years from the date of entry of the judgment or the expiration of the statute of limitations. If the information is not removed after this period of time, this may constitute a violation of the FCRA.

All the best to you.

NOTE: This Answer does not constitute legal advice. Every case is fact specific. To render a legal opinion, an attorney must engage in a consultation with a prospective client and review any pertinent documents. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Amy L. Wells or WELLS LAW OFFICE, INC.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


if the judgement is there properly, and is paid or otherwise resolved, it will remain on the report as , but will indicate that it is no longer open or owed.

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics