Can i have a phone consultation with a civil rights lawyer?what kind of hate speech is not protected by first amendment

Asked over 1 year ago - Floral Park, NY

i know speech that condones violence but i need to discuss my matter

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Do you have a pending criminal case?

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was... more
  2. James M Henderson Sr.

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You should seek a free consultation with one or more local attorneys to develop the issues.

    As a general matter, however, the right to freedom of speech provides robust protection to unwelcome speech, even if it makes us uncomfortable. Speech that decries the race, nationality, sex, religion or such of another, although thoughtless, unkind, rude or the like, generally enjoys broach protection.

    Exceptions exist that may apply to your case, but you have not provided any detail to allow nuanced analysis.

    This answer is not a substitute for consulting with and retaining the services of an attorney for your legal needs.... more
  3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Call your state or county bar association and request referral to a civil rights attorney.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,910 answers this week

2,996 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,910 answers this week

2,996 attorneys answering