Skip to main content

Can I have a lawyer represent me in court for a bench warrant?

Bronx, NY |

Good afternoon,

In the summer of 2010 I was given a summons to appear in court but I was unable to attend the court hearing because I was put on military orders and soon after that I deployed. My understanding is that I have a bench warrant and I wanted to clear that up. I currently live in MD and because of other responsibilities I am unable to go to NY to tend to this. Is it possible for a lawyer to represent me in court to resolve this situation.

Thank you for your time and I look forward hearing back from you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


It is possible but not easily done. It would depend on the location, the charge and what is preventing you from appearing in New York. You would have to provide more facts to get a better answer. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


The short answer is most likely a yes. It depends on the court, the charges and ultimately the judge.
Contact local attorney's with more details.
Good Luck.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


Yes, it is possible under certain circumstances. Use the Find a Lawyer tab up top.


Yes. I do this all the time.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


I have had success in similar situations. Most judges wouldbe reasonable. We would, of course, have to be well-prepared with documentation.


Contact a local experienced lawyer to help you.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


In many cases the judge will accept a waiver of appearance. Feel free to call for a consultation.
John J. Carney Esq. 917 696 2363

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer