Can I have a lawyer represent me in court for a bench warrant?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

Good afternoon,

In the summer of 2010 I was given a summons to appear in court but I was unable to attend the court hearing because I was put on military orders and soon after that I deployed. My understanding is that I have a bench warrant and I wanted to clear that up. I currently live in MD and because of other responsibilities I am unable to go to NY to tend to this. Is it possible for a lawyer to represent me in court to resolve this situation.

Thank you for your time and I look forward hearing back from you.

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

5

Answered . The short answer is most likely a yes. It depends on the court, the charges and ultimately the judge.
    Contact local attorney's with more details.
    Good Luck.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Howard A. Schwartz

4

Answered . It is possible but not easily done. It would depend on the location, the charge and what is preventing you from appearing in New York. You would have to provide more facts to get a better answer. Good luck.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . Yes. I do this all the time.

4. Edwin Drantivy

3

Answered . Yes, it is possible under certain circumstances. Use the Find a Lawyer tab up top.

5. Terri Beth Kalker

Pro

3

Answered . I have had success in similar situations. Most judges wouldbe reasonable. We would, of course, have to be well-prepared with documentation.

6. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

Answered . Contact a local experienced lawyer to help you.

7. John J. Carney

Pro

1

Answered . In many cases the judge will accept a waiver of appearance. Feel free to call for a consultation.
    John J. Carney Esq. 917 696 2363