Skip to main content

Can I have a judgment amended to name an individual instead of the fictitiously named business? If so, how?

Brewton, AL |

I have an Alabama judgment against a California business . I had sued the fictitiously named business ( a sole proprietor who had filed a fictitious business name ( dab ) ) instead of the individual who was doing business as the fictitious business name . Now , the accompany has gone out of business , but I still need to collect on my judgment . Is there a way to have the judgment amended to reflect the individual's name instead of the business so that I can collect from the individual ? If so , how do I do this ? If not , what can I do to collect from this individual ? Do I need to sue again ?

Attorney Answers 2


In CA, you can get a judgment amended "nunc pro tunc" by making a motion to your judge. I imagine the same procedure is available in AL.

If the defendant is a CA resident, you're going to need to "domesticate" your AL judgment in CA and then collect on it in CA, so you'll need to hire a lawyer in CA.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


i agree with the other counsel.

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.

Mark as helpful

Civil motions topics

Recommended articles about Civil motions

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics