Can I have a fundraiser without setting up a non profit organization?

East Brunswick, NJ |
Filed under: Business

I want to have a fundraiser for a family member do I need to do anything legally?

I suggest you absolutely want to set up a charitable non-profit organization. It confers tax benefits, contributors can deduct the contributions as much as possible, and you can avoid paying sales tax on any purchases you make on behalf of the organization. There are procedural steps you need to take in order to ensure it is done correctly. If you don't set up an organization, all contributions could conceivably be taxed as personal income to you or the family member. I suggest you contact an attorney to assist you with the process. My office would be more than happy to assist you.

NOTE: This answer is made is for advisory and/or educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site, or posting a question and obtaining an answer, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is being established between you and the answering attorney, and there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney. You should consult with a licensed professional attorney in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. The information provided in this answer is designed to be general in nature and is based on the facts stated in your question, and might change based on further information.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business