Can I go to prison due to a civil judgment of 1,200$?

Asked 7 months ago - Tampa, FL

A civil judgment of around $1,200 was just issued against me in New Jersey while I reside in Florida. And I found out this via credit report since the creditor did not have my current address. Will I go to jail if I don't pay? If I contact the creditor and make the payment plans, will the judgment go away from my credit report? And there are around 8 more such creditors who might be in the waiting line to get civil judgments against me. Will filing bankruptcy evict all such previous or future judgments?

1. Christine B. Adams

Pro

8

Answered . There is no jail for people who owe moneys, so stop worrying about that nonsense. But you may want to talk to an attorney about a bankruptcy and "discharge" your debt legally. You will have a fresh start that bankruptcy law offers qualified people. Use the Attorney finder on Avvo to find an experienced attorney in your area. Good Luck

2. Brett D Weiss

Pro

8

Answered . You cannot go to jail for not paying a civil judgment (other than for a domestic support obligation). If you've got a lot more waiting in the wings, you might want to consider bankruptcy. It will stop most previous and future judgments.

3. Robert P Garven

5

Answered . You cannot be sent to prison simply for owing money to someone.

4. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

6

Answered . We rid ourselves of debtor's prisons more than a century again. So, no

5. Amy Elizabeth Clark Kleinpeter

Pro

6

Answered . Not only won't you go to jail, you may have. Had the judgement against you wrongfully. If you can get the court papers, it would be worthwhile steering how it states you were served with the suit.

On the other hand, with the stress you ars having from a list of creditors wanting payment, I strongly advise you to have a consult with a consumer bankruptcy attorney. I am including a link to the, National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys website.

6. Michael T Warshaw

5

Answered . No. You won't go to jail for a debt. Once you satisfy your judgment, your credit report should reflect that you have satisfied the judgment. You should speak with a bankruptcy lawyer about the rest of your questions. Use Avvo find a lawyer feature to locate one near you.

7. Samantha Lynn Dammer

2

Answered . As everyone else noted, you won't get sent to jail for not paying a debt. I would preface this by saying that I am not licensed in New Jersey...but here in Florida when a judgment is entered against a debtor, it is normal for the debtor to be ordered by the Court to complete a "Fact Information Sheet" and to comply with depositions, etc. all of which is geared to assist the Plaintiff in its collection efforts. If you ignore court orders and don't provide documentation to the Plaintiff's attorney when ordered to do so, you may face "contempt of court" charges which could very well land you in jail. The bottom line is that you should seek counsel in New Jersey with regard to the lawsuit itself, and engage the help of a bankruptcy attorney here in Florida to learn your rights and options in that regard. Good luck.