Can i go to jail if my 17 year old doesnt go to school

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

my 17 yearold daughter who will be 18 in June won't go to school this has been an ongoing problem and she is even home school only sees teacher 1 time every two weeks but still doesnt want to do it. Can I got to jail? I have done everything I can think of. Please help thank you

1. Daphne Lori Macklin

Answered . Parents in California do have a legal obligation to make certain that their school aged minor children are attending school. If the child is not attending school and is deemed chronically truant, then yes, a parent may be brought before an SARB or School Attendance Review Board or if appropriate criminally charged for failing to properly supervise the child. My recommendation is that you immediately explore with school authorities what services are available to your family to assist with your child. My sense is that your child may have emotional issues or learning disabilities that need to be addressed rather than subjecting both you and her to punishment. You need to make certain that your daughter is receiving appropriate services and the SARB process can actually help to facilitate that process. Good luck with this.

This is not a substitute for a consultation with an attorney with a back ground in education and disability law.