Can I go to jail if for truancy when I was served when I was 17 and my court date is after my 18th birthday?

Harrisonburg, VA |

I got the court order a couple weeks before I turned 18. My court date is in a few days. Can I go to jail?

1. It depends. Generally speaking, if this is a first offense, it will more than likely be some form of remedial action, like a fine, community service, etc. Ask for a lawyer. If they say you are not entitled to a lawyer then it will more than likely be a fine only offense at the worst.

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.