Can I go to jail for sending a threatening email?

Asked about 3 years ago - Chicago, IL

I work as a doorman, I'm a bipolar individual and I got into a bit of a tiff with a realtor that works in my building. One night last week when I arrived home, I went into a manic episode and I sent the woman a threatening email. I used a fake name, email address to conceal my identity. I didn't want to cause her harm, I was just angry, irritated and being extremely stupid Today, my boss called me and told me that the realtor had filed a police report, and she believes that I'm the one that sent the threatening emails because of our previous interactions. My manager asked me point blankly whether I had sent the emails and in fear of loosing my job, I denied the accusation. I'm quite frightened and ashamed. I have not been contacted by the police but I am scared to death of the consequences.

1. David Matthew Gotzh

Pro

2

Answered . They can (very easily) pull the IP address of the email - that's something you can't "fake." Once they link the IP address to you, you're caught.

1) Talk to an attorney regarding the contents of the email ASAP.
    2) Do not discuss this any more on any other forum. Less said, the better.
    3) See #1

www.TheRoadLawyer.com
  2. Andrew Charles Matteson

Answered . David gives very good advice. I would not wait for this to come to a head. I would go ahead and make an appointment with a local, criminal attorney tomorrow.