Can i go to jail for not showing up to court?

Johnson City, TN |

i got a detainer summons from my previous land lord for unpaid rent its in general sessions court cant they take me to jail if i dont go

No. I assume you are talking about a forcible eviction and detainer warrant (FED). That is an eviction. The landlord is suing you to get possession of the property and collect unpaid rent and damages. If you don't go to court they will take a judgement against you and be awarded possession of the property. That judgement may also include attorney's fees and court costs. They can then garnish your paycheck or seize your assets to satisfy the judgement. But it's a civil judgement and they can't send you to jail for it.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.

If you are ordered to be in court pursuant to a subpoena or court order, you could risk suffering sanctions from an contempt motion. It would suggest not avoiding court, nothing good typically comes from ignoring the court.

No you can't be placed in jail for missing court on a detainer, although a default judgment could be granted or Judge could issue a show cause requiring you to be in court and then when you fail to show an attachment would be issued for you to be "brought" in front of the court.

Legal Disclaimer – Nothing contained in this response creates an attorney-client relationship, all information is provided as informational ONLY. This is not legal advice and should not be relied on as such. If legal advice is your intention please contact V. Michael Kurtz directly. V. Michael Kurtz is not a specialist and does not claim to be a certified specialist by the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education. I am not your attorney until retained and we have a contract and payment has been made.