Skip to main content

Can i go to jail for not paying spousal support?

San Antonio, TX |

i have lost my job recently

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes. You can go to jail for violating any court order. File a motion to modify the order.

Ms. Laster practices in Dallas, Denton, Collin and Tarrant Coun


It depends on what kind of spousal support has been awarded. If the spousal support is statutory then it can be enforced like child support, which includes incarceration for contempt for failing to pay child support when you can. However, if the spousal support was an agreed-to amount then it may be contractual support and only enforceable under a breach of contract remedy through a civil suit.


Yes you can. Hire an attorney to improve your chances of avoiding jail.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer