Can i go to jail for hitting a minor (15) in self defense way?

Chicago, IL |

me and my boyfriends sister got into a fist fight yesterday. we were arguing because someone let her dog in my room and he went to the bathroom in my room and he ate my flowers. she pushed me first and hit me first so i reacted by hitting her back. we were arguing and we just went at it. we would argue for 10 minutes and she hit me first again. she also threw Scissors at me. i know i wasn't suppose to hit a minor because im 18 but it was in self defense way.

1. Have you been arrested? You should use Avvo to find some criminal defense attorneys in Chicago to consult. Discontinue discussing this online.

http://www.defendme.net | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

2. Generally, everyone has the right of self defense to prevent themselves from being battered. The judge or jury, after a trial, decides whether the self defense applies and whether that was reasonable. The age of the aggressor is relevant to the reasonableness of using self defense.

Every case varies depending on the law and the facts. Because questions often fail to disclose important facts, these 'answers' cannot and should not be relied upon as a replacement for a full or complete review of an actual case by a retained attorney. It is axiomatic that one only 'gets what they pay for', and this is one of those situations where such a phrase generally applies.

3. You do not say whether it's a misdemeanor battery or a felony Aggravated Battery. Either way, you are entitled to assert self-defense at trial. But the consequences of being found guilty are far more severe for the Agg Batt charge. You should retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. Most of us provide free consultation. www.galivanlaw.net

4. Everyone has answered as if you have been charged with a crime. You did not say that you were. I was under the impression you were simply asking. Have you been arrested?

Wills and estates topics