Can i go to jail for hitting a minor (15) in self defense way?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

me and my boyfriends sister got into a fist fight yesterday. we were arguing because someone let her dog in my room and he went to the bathroom in my room and he ate my flowers. she pushed me first and hit me first so i reacted by hitting her back. we were arguing and we just went at it. we would argue for 10 minutes and she hit me first again. she also threw Scissors at me. i know i wasn't suppose to hit a minor because im 18 but it was in self defense way.

1. Donald John Ramsell

4

Answered . Generally, everyone has the right of self defense to prevent themselves from being battered. The judge or jury, after a trial, decides whether the self defense applies and whether that was reasonable. The age of the aggressor is relevant to the reasonableness of using self defense.

2. Daniel G. Galivan

3

Answered . You do not say whether it's a misdemeanor battery or a felony Aggravated Battery. Either way, you are entitled to assert self-defense at trial. But the consequences of being found guilty are far more severe for the Agg Batt charge. You should retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. Most of us provide free consultation. www.galivanlaw.net

3. Judy A. Goldstein

2

Answered . Everyone has answered as if you have been charged with a crime. You did not say that you were. I was under the impression you were simply asking. Have you been arrested?

4. James Regan

Pro

3

Answered . Have you been arrested? You should use Avvo to find some criminal defense attorneys in Chicago to consult. Discontinue discussing this online.