Can i go to jail for a $100.00 bounced check in wisconsin?

Two Rivers, WI |

I cashed a check knowing i would be able to put the money in when the bank open. but that never happened. now i cant afford to pay it and they sent me letters telling me its going to collection in 10 days if i cant pay it. What will happen once the collection gets it? Could i go to jail for this? its the first time i ever did this.

When an account is sent to "collections" , that generally means a civil proceeding.

However, floating a check when you know you don't have the money in the bank is a crime - in Wisconsin a bad check for $100 is a Class A Misdemeanor punishable by up to 9 months in jail and penalties of up to $10,000. If this is your first offense, you would likely not receive any jail time and face a much lower penalty.

You should pay the amount owed plus any "bounced check" fee.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.