Can i go to jail for a $100.00 bounced check in wisconsin?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Two Rivers, WI

I cashed a check knowing i would be able to put the money in when the bank open. but that never happened. now i cant afford to pay it and they sent me letters telling me its going to collection in 10 days if i cant pay it. What will happen once the collection gets it? Could i go to jail for this? its the first time i ever did this.

1. Michael T Millar

Pro

2

1

Answered . When an account is sent to "collections" , that generally means a civil proceeding.

However, floating a check when you know you don't have the money in the bank is a crime - in Wisconsin a bad check for $100 is a Class A Misdemeanor punishable by up to 9 months in jail and penalties of up to $10,000. If this is your first offense, you would likely not receive any jail time and face a much lower penalty.

You should pay the amount owed plus any "bounced check" fee.