Can i go to jail? I received a court summons in the mail.

Arlington, TX |

will I go to jail if I was never arrested, accused or identified on surveillance for a crime that happened 9 months ago? Sally's Beauty Supply said I stole because my fingerprints were on a empty package that curling irons were apparently stolen from. fingerprints were lifted and mine were identified. I have a criminal past for stealing about 8 yrs ago from a dept store and because my fingerprints were on the package left behind I'm being accused for stealing and have to appear in court from something that happened 9 months ago.

Probably not, but you had better hire a lawyer to represent you and investigate to be sure, unless your ok with us on this web site taking guesses, which may or may not be correct.

Providing general answers are meant to help the poster to understand some complex legal concepts and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship.

Yes, you could. You need to hire an attorney who handles criminal cases as soon as possible.

If you have a past, you know how important it is to get an attorney and exercise your right to remain silent. Get a criminal defense attorney NOW and then let her/him deal with the summons.

Good Luck!

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.