Can I go to a lawyer to file a child custody parenting agreement with out having to go to court ?

In September the father of my child threatened me to take me to court to get custody of our daughter. I didn't take his threat lightly so I did research and interviewed several attorney's. Most wanted me to spring in to action except for one. The one recommend I wait for him to come and get his "rights". Well since September he has not made any moves. Today he contacted me indicating he wants to know what are my conditions in order to see his daughter. He says he is willing to go to my lawyer to notarize an agreement. Is that possible? He and his family have a criminal background I'm wondering if he wants to avoid a court room.

Yes this can be done, it would be best if done by a notarized stipulation. A default could always set aside. A notarized stipulation would cost a little more but the protection would be worth the few extra dollars of paying his filing fee.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

Recommended articles about Family law