Can I go to a lawyer to file a child custody parenting agreement with out having to go to court ?

Asked 7 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

In September the father of my child threatened me to take me to court to get custody of our daughter. I didn't take his threat lightly so I did research and interviewed several attorney's. Most wanted me to spring in to action except for one. The one recommend I wait for him to come and get his "rights". Well since September he has not made any moves. Today he contacted me indicating he wants to know what are my conditions in order to see his daughter. He says he is willing to go to my lawyer to notarize an agreement. Is that possible? He and his family have a criminal background I'm wondering if he wants to avoid a court room.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes this can be done, it would be best if done by a notarized stipulation. A default could always set aside. A notarized stipulation would cost a little more but the protection would be worth the few extra dollars of paying his filing fee.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,490 answers this week

2,825 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,490 answers this week

2,825 attorneys answering