Can I give up my rights to stop child support in Texas?

Asked almost 6 years ago - Wichita Falls, TX

I don't want to pay child support

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Eli Zev Ilionsky

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Texas Family Code, the governing body of law for such matters in Texas, considers parental duties and parental rights as two different things. You can give up your parental rights (posession, visitation, etc.) voluntarily or have them taken away from you. However, you cannot give up your parental duties, such as paying child support, even if you no longer have your parental rights.

    You can, however, modify the child support amount if you are making less money than you did before, have a new family, or otherwise changed circumstances. However, the law behind such a change is complex. You need to discuss this with an qualified family law attorney in Texas and see if you are eligible for such a modification.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,935 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,935 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering