Skip to main content

Can I give birth without medical attention?

Miami, FL |

I've decided I wanna give birth in my house without a midwife. I live healthy and take prenatal vitamins but I don't want to go to a doctor regularly. Am I doing something illegal? What do I need when I register the baby? I have a confirmation from the doctor and ultrasound pictures confirming I'm pregnant and everything is ok. I also live in San Juan, Puerto Rico

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Why risk having a baby at home, alone, with no medical attention when you already know you will have trouble establishing the birth date, place and time of birth and thus citizenship? With a hospital around every corner in Miami, why risk a medical complication? If you have nothing to hide, you would not be asking. Go to a doctor.

    This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272

  2. I would strongly recommend you speak with a physician before doing something this risky, especially when it involves the life of your child.

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

  3. I don't see any problem legally..........

    Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

    Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.