Can I get unemployment if my green card is expired

Salinas, CA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

My card is expiried and I just got fired is there something I can do

Yes.
A green card itself is not your lawful permanent US residence status, but merely the proof for it. It's not because you let your GC expire that you lose your LPR status. Apply for the extension of your GC on Form I-90.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Yes. Although your green card is expired, you are still a lawful permanent resident.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

You should consider talking with an immigration attorney. If you otherwise qualify, you may want to apply directly for citizenship. I also added employment/labor law as a classification so you might get a better, more direct answer.