Can I get unemployment if I resign because my boss wants me to break the law?

Asked over 1 year ago - 11552

I work for a company that wants me to canvass door to door in areas where we do not have a legal permit to do so. I informed my boss of this and not only does the president want me to canvass in these areas, he wants me to bring a team of 20 door knockers with me. We face appearance tickets from the local police. It was just brought to my attention that we have been canvassing without licensess.

Secondly, my boss wants me to avoid certain neighborhoods because they are "Too Black" and "Too Spanish." I'm not one to discriminate. Do I have any grounds? Thanks.

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

Answered . If you resign for these purposes, and can prove it, you should be able to collect unemployment. Make sure you document the hell out of your reasons for leaving. Multiple emails and certified letters to multiple people. You might obtain status as a "whistleblower", if you contact the local police and the NAACP to let them know what's going on. I wouldn't do that though unless you really are ready to leave, and can afford to be without income for a while, because even though you're not supposed to be fired, you likely will be. Pretty sure I know the company that you're working for. Please see my disclaimer.

2. Edward Clement Sweeney

Pro

1

2

Answered . This first item should be enough to get you unemployment under the law of most states. The second item actually the Employer may have reasons that are legitimate, although it does sound "hinky." Hinky is not necessary illegal and your protection in most states from being deprived of UC is when your employer asks you to do something illegal. Some states may have extended the principle to where the action may be racist, but this is a more open question and needs research.

3. Vincent Peter White

Answered . I agree that you could probably resign for this reason and, if you prove it, still receive benefits. However, I would instead recommend refusing to break the law or discriminate in writing. and let the employer terminate you for doing so.

Save all paperwork as evidence.

4. Lachandra Tequeta Pye

Answered . In Georgia, a claimant (the person who files the claim for unemployment benefits) is eligible for unemployment insurance benefits if the claimant quit for good cause connected with the work itself (see O.C.G.A. 34-8-194(1) ). Usually, the claimant must also show he/she exhausted all available recourses prior to quitting. In a quit/resignation, the claimant bears the burden of proof to prove he/she quit for good work connected cause. In other words, you will have to be able to prove your employer requested for you engage in illegal conduct.

This answer is NOT intended to be used as legal advice. If you have a question or need assistance in a legal matter, please contact our office at: (678) 666-0655.