Can I get unemployment if I quit because of working in a hostile work environment.

Asked over 3 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

For the last year I they have cut my hours from 40 to 32 hours a week. Then after working for this company for 3.5 years they gave me a week notice in writing which I refused to sign - that they are cutting my pay rate by 25%. I can't work under these conditions. Also my boss is verbally abusive and yells and says not very nice things in emails to me and behind my back to other co-workers. I live in the state of Nevada. Can I quit on these grounds I feel they are forcing me to quit by reduction in pay and cut in hours and also for my boss the way he treats me. Can I get unemployment?

1. Alan Stuart Katkin

Answered . Every state has its own Unemployment Insurance Benefits Law and I am not licensed in your state, However, it seems that under the circumstances you describe, you could make a good argument for constructive termination. In other words that you did not resign voluntarily, but rather were forced to leave your employment because of your employer's innappropriate behavior towards you. If you file a timely claim for unemplyment benefits you should explain this and if your employer responds and wins, you should appeal and request a hearing. However, the best advice is for you to consult with a licensed attorney in your state who is experienced in handling unemployment insurance benfit claims.

This answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it create any attorney client relationship. You should consult with a licensed attorney in your state who is experienced in the area of law involved in your question.