Skip to main content

Can i get unemployment for leaving because of hostile work environment?

Germantown, MD |

my employer for 5 years knew that i lost my child, he offered me anything i needed. but i thought if i keep working i'll get better. After 6 months he asked me why i am always in a bad mood. I said that i am angry and have depression and am i counseling and need some time. but i was told that it is before christmas and that they need me. my wife has now a high risk january i took my 2 weeks vacation and after coming back, my boss changed my days off asked me if they could pay my vacation later and after asking them what is going on they said i dont care anymore and they rather have me gone.
I went to my psychiatrist and my wife told my employer i am taking a leave of absence. After she talked to them they said they do not want me back in my state of mind. no they contest unem

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to consult with an employment attorney. Depending upon the degree of your depression, you could be protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act.


You may be covered under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and you may have rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act. You may want to file a charge against your employer with the Montgomery County Human Rights Commission. Under Maryland law, your employer bears the burden of demonstrating that you quit or were terminated for gross misconduct. Did you try to go back and then they terminated you based on your "state of mind"?? I cannot answer this question, as posed, but you should contact an employment attorney for assistance.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer