Can I get two (2) misdemeanors of the 1st degree on different offenses expunged under new ohio law

Asked about 1 year ago - Columbus, OH

I have a misdemeanor in the 1st degree (M1 2006) aggravated menacing & misdemeanor in the 1st degree (M1 2010) assault. I have no pending cases or other criminal history in OH or any other state. I want to know can they be sealed so I can receive a promotion at my job

1. Zachary Douglas Mayo

2

Answered . Under the new expungement law 2 misdemeanors are generally eligible to be sealed so long as they are not of the same offense and you have no other misdemeanor or felony convictions. However, offenses still must be of the eligible variety. One hurdle is that the offense must not be an offense of violence. Aggravated Menacing under R.C. 2903.21 is defined as an offense of violence. M1 Assault is usually eligible for sealing though.

2. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

1

Answered . As long as long as one year has passed since you were let off of probation, all fines and costs are paid, restitution paid, and jail served you may be eligible. The hurdle that you will have to overcome is proving to the judges that you have been satisfactorly rehabilitated. You can also not have anything else on your record. If you have another misdemeanor or felony on your record you are not eligible for anything to be expunged. I strongly suggest that you hire an attorney to assist you because of the hurdles that I anticipate you will encounter. Good luck.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    (937)510-6110 phone
    (937)867-4111 fax
    attycbeck@gmail.com
    www.becklawofficellc.com

3. William Bernard Norman

Answered . Mr. Mayo is correct that an aggravated menacing under R.C. 2903.21 is an offense of violence, and thus ineligible for sealing the record. Our firm is working on a pilot program to address such issues, and we believe that there is an avenue to eventually get this charge off of your record, albeit in a slightly non-traditional way. If you are interested in taking part in this program to see what options we have available for you, please contact our office and make an appointment to speak with me.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now