Can I get two (2) misdemeanors of the 1st degree on different offenses expunged under new ohio law

Asked about 1 year ago - Columbus, OH

I have a misdemeanor in the 1st degree (M1 2006) aggravated menacing & misdemeanor in the 1st degree (M1 2010) assault. I have no pending cases or other criminal history in OH or any other state. I want to know can they be sealed so I can receive a promotion at my job

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Zachary Douglas Mayo

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Under the new expungement law 2 misdemeanors are generally eligible to be sealed so long as they are not of the same offense and you have no other misdemeanor or felony convictions. However, offenses still must be of the eligible variety. One hurdle is that the offense must not be an offense of violence. Aggravated Menacing under R.C. 2903.21 is defined as an offense of violence. M1 Assault is usually eligible for sealing though.

  2. Christopher Lee Beck


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As long as long as one year has passed since you were let off of probation, all fines and costs are paid, restitution paid, and jail served you may be eligible. The hurdle that you will have to overcome is proving to the judges that you have been satisfactorly rehabilitated. You can also not have anything else on your record. If you have another misdemeanor or felony on your record you are not eligible for anything to be expunged. I strongly suggest that you hire an attorney to assist you because of the hurdles that I anticipate you will encounter. Good luck.

    Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    (937)510-6110 phone
    (937)867-4111 fax

    The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client... more
  3. William Bernard Norman

    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . Mr. Mayo is correct that an aggravated menacing under R.C. 2903.21 is an offense of violence, and thus ineligible for sealing the record. Our firm is working on a pilot program to address such issues, and we believe that there is an avenue to eventually get this charge off of your record, albeit in a slightly non-traditional way. If you are interested in taking part in this program to see what options we have available for you, please contact our office and make an appointment to speak with me.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now