Can I get the transcripts and recordings of my case since it is closed? How can I find out if there was any money left over?

Asked over 1 year ago - Etna, OH

I had 3 appeals from my divorce proceedings. I had to pay $1480 (200 pages) for my first set of transcripts and $300 for more pages. When it went to the appeals court it was remanded back to the trial court each time and nothing changed. I could have gone back to the appeals court 100 times and the appeals court could have told trial court they needed to do what they failed to do and nothing would have changed but I would have been poorer. Since I paid for the transcripts and the case is closed, can I get these transcripts? Also, can I get a copy of a recording in court? The magistrate told me he wasn't going through my evidence and he had his mind made up on what was going to happen (absolute bias) I want to see if that's on tape. Also, how can I find out how the money was spent?

1. Curt Perri Bogen

Pro

1

Answered . A Court transcriptionist / Court Reporter charges a fee to transcribe each page. That's where your costs went--and they were billed after the fact, so there isn't "Money Left" from the costs of transcription. If you request it of the Court in a timely fashion, and the records are preserved, you can request a copy of the videotaping of a divorce, as divorce cases are public record. As far as the transcripts, they are also ublic record---though you may have to pay a minimal per charge fee to have the Court copy them from the original documents, which remain the property of the Court. Good Luck.