Can I get the results of a BAC test taken in Tennessee and is so how and how long does it take to get the results?

Dyersburg, TN |

I had 3 glasses of wine in 4 hrs- was pulled over and arrested a blood test was given. Had to post bail and have someone drive my car home

1. You really need a lawyer who does DUI defense.

Basically, you need to file a Motion for discovery, which is a formal request for the prosecution to turn over all evidence they possess regarding a defendant’s case. You also should file a Motion to preserve evidence, which forces the prosecution to preserve all evidence until a defense investigator or expert can evaluate the evidence.

Tennessee has become much more strict on drunk driving, and your experience is another example of that.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others. Thank you. This response may provide information relating to potential legal issues. Nevertheless, your review of any information contained herein is not a substitute for legal advice from qualified legal counsel. For this reason, you should not rely on this response as a source of legal advice. Your use of this information does not create any attorney-client agreement. In order to become a client of David C. Lee, you must negotiate a specific attorney–client agreement with an attorney from this law office.

2. The short answer is yes, you will be provided the results of the BAC test. However, the type of test run (i.e. a test for drugs or alcohol) can determine how long it takes to obtain the results. The normal process in Tennessee is for your blood test to be sent of to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) for the initial blood alcohol level determination. This process can take anywhere from two to three months or even longer depending on the amount of other blood tests which were submitted prior to yours. Once the BAC is determined by the TBI, the results are typically sent back to the Officer who requested the BAC determination. It is at this point that the results are typically made available to the District Attorney handling your case and they are typically shared with your attorney, if you have one. Additionally, if the arresting officer suspects that there may be some drugs which contributed to your "impairment," he can request a drug analysis from the TBI. If a drug analysis is requested, this will typically delay your test results even further. I recommend that you contact an experienced DUI defense attorney in your area to help you further.

3. You will be provided a copy of the BAC test results as part of the discovery process in your criminal case. Hire an experienced criminal defense attorney and he will get you a copy of the results.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.