Skip to main content

Can I get the lender to take my name off a mortgage that I have with my ex? Is a loan modification considered an affirmation?

Voorhees, NJ |

My ex and I broke up over 4 years ago. We have a mortgage together which he decided not to pay and the house went into foreclosure. I opted to filed a chapter 7 which was discharged a year ago. My ex, not me, since I have no interest in the property, has worked out a loan mod. with the bank, and the lender is requested my signature on the loan mod. I do not want to sign because I do not want it to be considered a reaffirmation. I called the bank myself to notify them I have done a bankruptcy, I no longer live in the state of FL and I would like my name taken off the mortgage. They said I have to sign the agreement in order for my ex to refinance. I do not want to sign, I feel like I should not have to. How do I get out of this really stressful situation?

Attorney Answers 1


If the property is in Florida, you should seek the advice and counsel of a Florida real estate attorney.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics