Skip to main content

Can I get the engagement ring and wedding ring back?

Oswego, NY |
Filed under: Divorce Marriage

We both live in upstate new york. Been married for 4 years. She wants a separation cause she doesnt feel the love for me. Found out she has been having many affairs behind my back.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


A engagement ring is given in contemplation of marriage. If the marriage does not happen you get the ring back. However, once the marriage takes place I believe she gets to keep the ring.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Since the marriage took place the rings are hers. Now, if the marriage was annulled as opposed to a divorce, there is a shot at getting them back.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


Not unless you get it in the settlement agreement in your divorce...

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


The engagement ring is given in contemplation of marriage so you won't get that back, since she married you. The wedding ring was given at the time of marriage so she gets to keep that. In the context of the divorce, you can make the rings a part of the settlement. Aside from that, they are hers to keep.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer