Can I get temporary custody of my child on the weekends and where if somebody else has custody and my child is scared to go home

Amsterdam, NY |

he father deals my other childs medicine. he scares her. I need to get temporary custody THIS weekend.

1. It really depends on a lot more facts than what you provided here.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.

2. Generally courts cannot award custody to a parent in just one night. If one feels that his/her child is in danger, one is free to call the police. You would be well-served to discuss your dilemma with a local domestic relations attorney in a confidential forum as soon as possible next week.

3. The system does not work so quickly that you can get custody right away. You'll have to go through a slow, legal process. However in an emergency, there are police and child protective services which you should use very cautiously.

You don't tell us the age of the child. You don't tell us whether you have a prior existing order from a court rhat grants custody/visitation. These pieces of information are so important in knowing how to move forward.

4. If you are raising a danger to the child, that has to be dealt on a different plane than visitation scheduling. You should contact CPS immediately if you think the child is in particular danger this weekend, and CPS will investigate within 24 hours, but you should be certain of the existence and degree of the danger.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.