Can I get sued if my name is on the registration along with the driver and the driver gets into an accident?

Mountain View, CA |

my finance and I signed a lease agreement for 3 years 1 year ago and we're no longer together . I'd like to remove my name from the car registration because I'm fearful that if he gets into an accident that I'll be sued . Is this possible ? We no longer share car insurance but both our names are on the vehicle registration .

1. Yes as a registered owner, you can get sued if he causes an accident. You and he will have to work together and sign the DMV papers to get your name off of the vehicle. If you are a co-signer on the loan, that is a separate matter, and I doubt you can get off of that, since the loan was based on both of your credit history. You should check online for the paperwork at the DMV right away since this is a risk to you. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

2. An owner has statutory liability if the driver is negligent and causes an injury. This means that you will have some liability if your ex fiance causes an injury using the vehicle. You should get liability insurance coverage immediately and get you name off title to the vehicle. You can simply transfer title to your ex fiance, and file the proper documentation with the DMV regarding notice of the transfer. You should do it right now to avoid liability.

Brad C. Brereton
    BreretonLawOffice.com

In all cases it is advisable to consult an experienced attorney. Nothing stated herein is intended as legal advice for your specific situation, and you should use the information provided solely for the purpose of choosing an experienced attorney for the problems presented.

3. Yes, you can get sued if your name is on the registration of a vehicle that causes an accident. Under the California Vehicle Code, the registered owner is liable for up to $5,000 in property damage and $15,000 for the death of or injuries to one person (and a $30,000 maximum for the death of or injury to more than one person).

4. Yes. As the owner of the vehicle you can also be held liable for incidents involving it.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

5. Who and who is not obviously liable for paying up when an accident happens is a completely different question than who's gonna get his or her butt sued... most of us personal injury types earn our money by working hard at getting the best recovery (read as in the most money) possible for our clients... such an endeavor involves making sure to go after anyone and everyone plus their insurance companies who has even a hint of liablity... while making absolutely sure not to cross the line into frivolous lawsuits or extortion, we will use all legal means to recover for our injured client(s). In a motor vehicle accident, most personal injuries immediately target the driver, the owner, and the employer of the driver as potential defendants. If the defendants want to argue among themselves, so be it, but if the accident is the fault of the driver, at least one of them will be found liable when the jury gives the verdict.

As for someone facing liability for a motor vehicle accident, he or she should file a claim with his or her insurance company - if no insurance, he or she should hire a defense lawyer.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
    Corona, CA 92879
    (951)520-9684
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
    ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com... "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

6. In CA, the answer is yes.

7. Bump up your limits, and get his name removed.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

8. YES YOU CAN BE SUED. GET THE TITLE TRANSFERRED TO HIS NAME ONLY. BEST OF LUCK.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

9. You CAN ABSOLUTLEY be sued. Talk to a local attorney about your situation!!

Good luck!!

Dan

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.