Can i get sued for selling knock off dresses without a logo or trademark on them?

Asked 12 months ago - Chicago, IL

i am getting harassed by celebboutique claiming that i have done some infringement and i have to remove all the dresses from my site when these dresses are replicated dresses with no logos or any trademarks on them.Can i get sued and what are some ways to protect myself. they claim to have design rights but what does that really mean?

1. Frank A. Natoli

Pro

8

Answered . I understand the concern of my colleagues here, but would like to make clear that in the US we cannot protect fashion designs under copyright laws. There is no such concept for functional items. In Europe, however, that is not the case. This is why all those dresses you see on the red carpet are available the next week at H & M under a variety of brand names.

My colleague's analogy to sunglasses is apt because in that case, we may have patent issues that protect how those glasses function and in some cases the design.

That said, one can claim a copyright interest in pattern designs and this is often the crux of CR litigation. So you need to make sure you are not using anything that can be claimed. Further, any use of another's brands or logos is trademark infringement.

I will link you to a brief overview of copyright law in the fashion industry below and you can do your own research on this topic. I also suggest that you reach out to a lawyer (or several) for a free phone consultation and discuss your objectives in more detail so you are clear on where the limits are.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with attorney Natoli on this one. Dress designs are not covered by copyright. however that does not protect you from being sued for copyright infringement and having to defend the case. You need to see an intellectual property law attorney that understands the fashion industry, preferably one in your own state.

3. James Scott Anderson

4

Answered . Yes, you can be sued for selling replica items, even if your customers know the items are fake, because knock-offs infringe copyright and damage the value of trademarks. The allegations are serious and you need legal representation ASAP.

4. Mark Raafat Malek

Pro

Answered . Yes - absolutely! You are committing copyright infringement. That would be like me selling sunglasses that looked just like Oakley sunglasses, but I don't put the Oakley name on them. Everyone knows you can spot Oakley sunglasses a mile away. The goods you are selling are counterfeit. You need to contact an intellectual property attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.