Can I get sued for harrassment or defamation of character for sending emails?

Atlanta, GA |

My child and I quit a school team that I helped co-coach, one of the coaches upset my child. I sent the coach an email asking him to help smooth things over because my child wanted to come back to the team . He did not respond . I sent a n email to my co-coaches and the school coordinator suggesting the team meet with the coordinator to touch base about how everyone was doing. I informed them of a conversation I had with my child and another on the team who s a i d th e coaches were stressing the team . The parent of the child sent a formal request that I not talk to the child again to the principal. My co-coaches may sue me for the emails.

I don't think a legitimate attorney would bring this case against you. First of all, truth is an absolute defense to a defamation claim. Besides, there do not appear to be any damages, so it would not be worth pursuing. As long as you have a "legitimate purpose" for sending the emails, which it sounds like you do, you should not be subject to any criminal harassment charges either. I would suggest you approach the Principal about the problem you and your child had with the coach/team, and not involve anyone else that does not wish to be included. Assuming the Principal is competent and investigates, he will reveal whether others feel the same way you do. Good luck.

* Please note that I am a Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Attorney practicing in Georgia, but I am not your attorney. This post is intended to provide some helpful insight into your particular situation, but it should not be taken as legal advice. If you would like to discuss your Georgia Personal Injury or Medical Malpractice case, I am happy to discuss your specific situation with you at no cost to you. I can be reached at 404-996-5157 or Fareesh@SarangiLaw.com. If you found this Answer "Helpful" or " The Best Answer", please click the tab indicating that. Thank you!

2. There really isn’t enough information here to give you an answer. In most cases, someone can bring a suit against you if they feel they have enough evidence. Hard to say without all the facts. Good luck.

Randy Sevenish is licensed to practice law in the State of Indiana. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship. Please speak with a local attorney to discuss your potential legal issue.

3. Without a lot more detail and reviewing the actual emails, it is difficult to fully assess the situation. It seems that you may have a qualified privilege to discuss matters pertaining to the team, since you are a coach.

You may find it helpful to review the Legal Guide I have published on Avvo.com which deals with defamation issues. You can access the Guide through my profile page on Avvo.com.

If you are threatened with legal action, inform your homeowners or renters insurance company about the potential claim. Many homeowners policies are covering defamation claims.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

4. Hard to answer without know more facts, but truth is a complete defense to defamation.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Education law topics