Skip to main content

Can I get sole physical custody in Florida

Miami, FL |

I live in fl. My divorce is 1 yr over. I have primary custodial time share. My ex wife is non custodial she hasn't talked to the kids in 9 mnths hasn't spent time with in 1 1/2 yrs. Spent 5 mnths in jail for dv. She has moved Back to nj. My question is can I get sole physical custody and what can I do without an attorney. Help

Attorney Answers 1


You can file a Supplemental Petition to Modify Time Sharing and Child Support and request sole parental responsibility. It will be difficult even with your facts for the court to grant sole "custody." You can also consider asking for Ultimate Decision Making authority over the areas of life for the child if it is not reasonable for you both to handle "shared parenting" due to her un-involvement in the child's life.

Attorney Cheri Hobbs

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics