Skip to main content

Can I get rid of my husband's personal property since we are divorcing and he moved out

Winchester, VA |
Filed under: Divorce

my husband has been living elsewhere since dec 12. what are my options i know he doesn't want the marriage any longer. am i technically allowed to change the locks on my doors since he is gone. He has not removed all of his belongings because i believe he is just living place to place and has no secure place to live.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. No. you are not "technically allowed to change the locks" as long as your husband continues to be a joint owner of the marital property and no court has issued an order either requiring him to move out or barring him from coming in.

    M.E. Hendrickson, Esq.
    Alexandria, Virginia 22314

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics