Can I get refund?

My lawyer will not return my calls and is dragging things out. Every time I call her she says she'll call back but doesn't. I paid her a retainer of $2,000 . Can I get any of it back?

Calhoun, GA -

Glen Edward Ashman

Glen Edward Ashman

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - East Point, GA

You haven't told us what your written fee agreement says, how many hours of work were done, if you have a balance you owe, what type of case you have, or why you think the case is being "drug out." So there's unfortunately no way to answer you.

Paula Jeanette Mcgill

Paula Jeanette Mcgill

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Atlanta, GA

It appears the primary issue is communication. A lawyer has to maintain reasonable communications with a client. If you are unhappy with your lawyer's representation, schedule an initial consultation with another attorney. That attorney should be able to tell you if your attorney is truly dragging out matters and if you are entitled to a full or partial refund.

Many times, its the courts who delay matters because of case overload and budget cuts. Nevertheless, regardless of the reason for the delay, if your attorney is not communicating with you, another attorney may put your mind at ease.

Timothy A. Dinan

Timothy A. Dinan

Ethics / Professional Responsibility Lawyer - Detroit, MI

A refund depends on the nature of your relationship, the fee agreement, how much work has to be done as well as other factors not listed in your question. The ideal nature of working with a lawyer is dictated by clear communication and understanding what the goals of the representation are. Your question is not clear in that regard.