Can I get reduced traffic tickets? I received 5 citations for crossing center line on two lane road.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Kennesaw, GA

Traffic was stalled and backed up. In order to make a left turn a iner-section, I crossed the double yellow lines of a two lane road to by-pass stalled traffic. recieved 5 tickets totalling $695

1. Daniel Ellis Rice

1

Answered . First, as the tickets you received are probably all misdemeanors (I assume), there is likely nothing that the charges can be reduced to (as opposed to reducing a charge from a felony to a misdemeanor). In the alternative, while you may not be able to reduce, depending on the charges, you may be able to work out a deal with the prosecutor or issuing officer to try changing the offenses to ones that won't be reported to the Ga Dept. of Driver Services. Then, at least theoretically, you may not get points on your license. Second, you may want to contest the charges, based on your facts. If you do, I strongly suggest that you hire an attorney. However, you need to take into consideration whether you believe it would be cost-effective to hire an attorney vs. either paying the fines or contesting the charges yourself. That's a decision only you can make. Good luck.

2. Linton Stephens Johnson III

1

Answered . My first response is "yes", you are very likely to be able to get a reduction on these multiple tickets. Not know exactly what you are charged with, it may be very important that you get a reduction if you are interested in keeping your driver's license. A typical moving violation in Georgia carries 3 points. Once you accumulate 15 total points in a 24-month period, your license will be suspended. Depending on what you are being charged with, you may be at risk of getting those 15 points.

I would agree with the previous attorney response in that it would be wise to look into hiring an experienced traffic attorney and see if the costs make sense for you to protect your driving record and license.

3. James L. Paisley

1

Answered . I would assume that this cop just loaded you up with several overlapping charges. More than likely many of these tickets can be merged into the others and hopefully with good representation all but one or two would go away. I agree with all the responses above. You NEED a lawyer.

Jim Paisley
    www.atlanta-ticket-lawyer.com