Can I get premium reimbursements from my auto insurance company in Massachusetts?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Webster, MA

I have Liberty Mutual , in Massachusetts , and they had me paying a high premium for the past several months because I was in a hit and run auto accident . They found me to be more than 50% at fault , which was ridiculous , so I filed an appeal with the Board of Appeals and I had a hearing . The Board of Appeals reversed Liberty Mutual's decision and they found me to be less than 50% at fault . I received a letter in the mail notifying me of this decision . So , now that I have that reversed , and Liberty Mutual has been ordered to lower my premium to the correct amount , can I get a refund from all the months that I paid the high premium since it wasn't my fault ?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Generally speaking, yes. Once the determination has been made that you were less than 50% at fault, the board notifies both you and your insurance company and you should receive a refund of the surcharge you paid while your appeal was pending. Best of luck.

    The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, you most certainly can (assuming the facts as you stated them above and there are no other issues). If the surcharge was reversed you should get either a reimbursement check or you can ask that it be credited towards your auto insurance bills.

    This response is not to be considered legal advice by anyone. This communication, alone, does not create an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,553 answers this week

3,657 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,553 answers this week

3,657 attorneys answering