Can I get premium reimbursements from my auto insurance company in Massachusetts?

Asked over 1 year ago - Webster, MA

I have Liberty Mutual , in Massachusetts , and they had me paying a high premium for the past several months because I was in a hit and run auto accident . They found me to be more than 50% at fault , which was ridiculous , so I filed an appeal with the Board of Appeals and I had a hearing . The Board of Appeals reversed Liberty Mutual's decision and they found me to be less than 50% at fault . I received a letter in the mail notifying me of this decision . So , now that I have that reversed , and Liberty Mutual has been ordered to lower my premium to the correct amount , can I get a refund from all the months that I paid the high premium since it wasn't my fault ?

1. Emma A. Kremer

3

1

Answered . Generally speaking, yes. Once the determination has been made that you were less than 50% at fault, the board notifies both you and your insurance company and you should receive a refund of the surcharge you paid while your appeal was pending. Best of luck.

2. Travis J. Jacobs

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, you most certainly can (assuming the facts as you stated them above and there are no other issues). If the surcharge was reversed you should get either a reimbursement check or you can ask that it be credited towards your auto insurance bills.