Can I get premium reimbursements from my auto insurance company in Massachusetts?

Webster, MA |

I have Liberty Mutual , in Massachusetts , and they had me paying a high premium for the past several months because I was in a hit and run auto accident . They found me to be more than 50% at fault , which was ridiculous , so I filed an appeal with the Board of Appeals and I had a hearing . The Board of Appeals reversed Liberty Mutual's decision and they found me to be less than 50% at fault . I received a letter in the mail notifying me of this decision . So , now that I have that reversed , and Liberty Mutual has been ordered to lower my premium to the correct amount , can I get a refund from all the months that I paid the high premium since it wasn't my fault ?

Generally speaking, yes. Once the determination has been made that you were less than 50% at fault, the board notifies both you and your insurance company and you should receive a refund of the surcharge you paid while your appeal was pending. Best of luck.

The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.

Ok, thanks. So, there is probably nothing else I need to do? The Insurance Company will automatically send me my refund check? How long should I wait before I contact them?

Emma A. Kremer

Emma A. Kremer

You can contact your insurance company immediately if you want, to insure they received notice of the determination and to get an ETA on your refund.

Yes, you most certainly can (assuming the facts as you stated them above and there are no other issues). If the surcharge was reversed you should get either a reimbursement check or you can ask that it be credited towards your auto insurance bills.

This response is not to be considered legal advice by anyone. This communication, alone, does not create an attorney-client privilege. Unless you have executed a fee agreement with the attorney, that is related to the subject matter contained in this communication, you are advised not to rely on this communication to make any decisions whatsoever or to create an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship shall exist with this attorney without a fee agreement executed by you and the attorney.