Skip to main content

Can i get paid for taking care of my elderly mother with limitations

Makawao, HI |

my mother is 81 and father is 85. recently he asked me to help him take care of my mother fulltime. it is getting very hard for him to continue by himself. my mother has a hard time walking without help and recently hurt her hip and broke her arm because of it. she cannot do the simplest tasks such as climb into the bathtub or even go to the bathroom by herself. my question is are there any agencies out there that would be willing to pay me for taking care of her fulltime. the veterans administration said that they would only help if she was so bad that she couldn't even fed herself.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. The VA is a goldmine of undiscovered money to take care of someone who needs help and has low assets. The program is commonly called "Aid and Attendance". It is available to a vet or his surviving spouse. If one or both of your parents served in the military during wartime, even if they never left the states, they can receive up to $1949 per month, tax free. If both are vets they could receive up to $2540 per month. Go see your county Veteran's office or a Veteran's Service Organization, such as Veterans of Foreign Wars or American Legion. They can assist with the planning and application for Aid and Attendance.

  2. The prior contributor is correct that the VA will pay benefits, but usually a written care contract is required. You may also be required to establish medical necessity, but that can be done through their physician. You should also check with your State's Medicaid agency. Some Medicaid agencies will allow a family member to provide services for compensation under a Money-follows-the-person program, while others do not.

    You should speak with an Elder Law Attorney near you.

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics