Can I get out of paying these college fees if the college is phony?

Asked over 1 year ago - Salem, VA

I recently attended Everest online. I took out some loans (against my better judgement). At about week 2 I realized the work was way too easy to be legit. I could literally wait until the day my assignments were due and to complete them in one sitting! I started investigating and they're under a lot of hot water right now. I just went ahead and finished my term and told them I would no longer be attending. I got a bill a few months later is there a way i can get out of paying for this sham? I feel like I should be taking them to court!

1. William Asa Grafton

2

3

Answered . There are a couple of people suing Everest. You could join one of those suits. Just ignoring them is a tough way to go, because student loan vendors are afforded a lot of protection and an easier route to garnishment than normal creditors.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

2

Answered . You may want to Google the identity of some of the attorneys who are currently handling claims against your school, and consult with one or more of those attorneys about the strength of your potential claim.

3. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

Answered . MY colleagues have provided you sound advice. Do not just ignore the debt and expect that it will go away. Be proactive and take care of it.