Skip to main content

Can I get out of my lease due to feeling unsafe because of a neighbor?

Ellsworth, ME |

I have a neighbor that has had the cops visit her a every other week and bangs on her walls in the middle of the night and the owners of the complex haven't done anything about this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Look at your lease - is there a provision allowing you to terminate the lease early? At the very least, I would write to your landlord, documenting your concerns. If you can't get out of the lease by its terms, I would appeal to your landlord and tell them that you don't feel safe.

The exact terms of the guardianship agreement, and N.D. law on a guardiann's duties and how co-guardianships are conducted will govern the outcome in this instance.


Anyone can get out of a lease. The issue is whether there will be consequences to you. As suggested, read the terms of your lease to see what provisions there are for leaving. Keep track of dates and times when the police come and other issues. Put all of your concerns, with a timeline, in writing and mail via certified mail, return-receipt requested to your landlord. The LL can't do anything without notice.

Good luck!

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.


You can always get out of the lease, the issue is will you be subjected to civil penalites. Look at the lease and see if there is a provision providing for quiet enjoyement or something like that then. Regardless, you should immediately begin writiing the land lord and saving the letters or emails your concerns in case you need proof of your complaints, give hm/her time to remedy it, if not move out and use the noise as your defense, most judges are reasonable and if you were not reciveing a quiet comfortable apt, they will most likely work it out with you, cover your tracks and make a record of the problems then do what is best for you and your family, take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer