Can I get out of my lease due to feeling unsafe because of a neighbor?

Asked over 2 years ago - Ellsworth, ME

I have a neighbor that has had the cops visit her a every other week and bangs on her walls in the middle of the night and the owners of the complex haven't done anything about this.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

11

Answered . You can always get out of the lease, the issue is will you be subjected to civil penalites. Look at the lease and see if there is a provision providing for quiet enjoyement or something like that then. Regardless, you should immediately begin writiing the land lord and saving the letters or emails your concerns in case you need proof of your complaints, give hm/her time to remedy it, if not move out and use the noise as your defense, most judges are reasonable and if you were not reciveing a quiet comfortable apt, they will most likely work it out with you, cover your tracks and make a record of the problems then do what is best for you and your family, take care.

2. Maryellen Sullivan

1

Answered . Look at your lease - is there a provision allowing you to terminate the lease early? At the very least, I would write to your landlord, documenting your concerns. If you can't get out of the lease by its terms, I would appeal to your landlord and tell them that you don't feel safe.

3. Inga L Stevens

1

Answered . Anyone can get out of a lease. The issue is whether there will be consequences to you. As suggested, read the terms of your lease to see what provisions there are for leaving. Keep track of dates and times when the police come and other issues. Put all of your concerns, with a timeline, in writing and mail via certified mail, return-receipt requested to your landlord. The LL can't do anything without notice.

Good luck!