Skip to main content

Can I get out of a speeding ticket?

Tucson, AZ |

I received a speeding ticket but was not asked to sign it. Also, my driver's license information is not correct on the ticket. Is there any way to get it dismissed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The purpose of a traffic summons is to place the driver on notice essentially of "who? what? when? and where?" The test of whether your ticket should be dismissed is not necessarily whether it contained a technical flaw, but whether you were placed on notice of the specific charge. If your driver's license information is incorrect, the charge will probably not be dismissed by the Court. By the way, sometimes a Police Officer's handwriting may appear to be illegible, especially when you have only been provided with a carbon copy of the original summons. I would not bet the bank on winning your case on this technical defect. I suggest that you consult with an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Arizona who specializes in the area of municipal/traffic court.


Having somebody sign a traffic citation is just evidence that they were served with the complaint. It's not required. If the officer shows up and testifies that he gave you the citation, it will probably suffice.

Having an attorney appear for you at a hearing gives you the best chance of beating it, but don't really on a technicality.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer