Can I get out of a moving violation where the wrong law was cited?

Asked over 1 year ago - Somerville, MA

I was given a ticket for making a left turn where it a sign indicated it was prohibited. However the officer gave a ticket for M.G.L. c. 90, § 14 (Turning Improperly) Is it worth contesting on the basis of the wrong law being cited (Should have been 720 CMR 9.06(23))?

1. Ian Keefe

Answered . Yes. You should request a Clerk Magistrate Hearing and fight the ticket. Please give me a call if you are interested in hiring an Attorney.

Ian Keefe, Esq.
    518-495-5315

2. Michael J Tremblay

Answered . Don't be so sure. c. 90 §14 covers several types of improper turns and applies to all public ways.
    720 C.M.R. 9.06 however only applies to state highways. Where were you driving? Was it a state highway or a regular city street or town road? The ticket, if first offense, is only a $35 civil penalty. Unless you have a bunch already and are at risk of a suspension for habitual traffic offender, or six surchargeable events, there really is not much economic sense in hiring a lawyer to fight this.

Attorney Mike Tremblay www.attorneytremblay.com 508-485-4500
  3. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

Answered . Yes call us I can refer you a great MA traffic court lawyer. 1-877-996-6849.