Can I get off SSI?

Hudson, FL |

If I decide that I want to get off of SSI, can I do so? If yes, how do I do so?

One of the easiest ways is to start working again! If you feel your medical condition has improved enough that you're able to work, I would recommend doing so. You simply need to contact your local SSA office & let them know. If you keep receiving payments after you've started working, it could result in an "overpayment" and SSA will require you to repay those monies.

Just because you've stopped receiving SSI doesn't make you ineligible to receive other state benefits such as food stamps or medical benefits. Each state has its own guidelines for those programs.

Contact your local SSA office or call SSA at 800-772-1213 for more specific information

It is not clear why you want to get off of SSI. But assuming you feel that you can work, you should look into the "ticket to work program before actually getting a job. This program allows you to protect your entitlement while you look for a way off of benefits. Also, you will be provided information about vocational rehabilitation and other support services to assist you in your efforts. Find out more at the link below.