Skip to main content

Can I get my tuition refunded from school for wrong residency status classification?

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Education law

I have a situation regarding my residency status change and wondering if you can help me. I'm on H1-B visa since 2010, and according to the Washington education law I should be considered resident for tuition purposes one year after acquiring the Visa status. I applied for UW in 2011, but the information on their admission website had citizens and green card holders only as residents, so I applied as non-resident. I kept paying double tuition until this quarter when I came across the law on the internet and applied for status change. The problem is; the registrar office is denying their fault in listing the wrong application rule on the admission website and don't want to refund the extra tuition I paid before this quarter. Is there a way to get my money back?

Attorney Answers 1


Not everything you read on the internet is true. If you think the registrar's office should refund your money, you should address your concerns to them. I recommend being diplomatic.

[In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]

Mark as helpful

1 comment



I did contact them super nicely but they don't want to refund. I'm seeking legal answer. Do I have the right for a refund based on latest state laws? It's over 10K they're holding....

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics