Can I get my tuition refunded from school for wrong residency status classification?

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Education law

I have a situation regarding my residency status change and wondering if you can help me. I'm on H1-B visa since 2010, and according to the Washington education law I should be considered resident for tuition purposes one year after acquiring the Visa status. I applied for UW in 2011, but the information on their admission website had citizens and green card holders only as residents, so I applied as non-resident. I kept paying double tuition until this quarter when I came across the law on the internet and applied for status change. The problem is; the registrar office is denying their fault in listing the wrong application rule on the admission website and don't want to refund the extra tuition I paid before this quarter. Is there a way to get my money back?

1. Not everything you read on the internet is true. If you think the registrar's office should refund your money, you should address your concerns to them. I recommend being diplomatic.

[In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]

Education law topics