CAN I GET MY TICKETS DISMISSED FOR THE COPS REFUSAL TO LET ME GET OUT OF THE CAR TO GET THE DOCUMENTS HE REQUESTED, IN BACKSEAT

Asked over 1 year ago - Ridgefield Park, NJ

COP'S INTEREST SPARKED WHEN HE PULLED UP NEXT TO MY SON & I AT A LIGHT, MY SON & HIM HAD A STARED DOWN CONTEST, HE SAID HE RAN MY PLATES LICENSE WAS EXPIRED, I TOLD HIM I WAS UNAWARE CAUSE I LOST MY POCKETBOOK & THIS IS A SPARE, WHEN HE REQUESTED THE LICENSE, INSURANCE & REGISTRATION, THE BACK SEAT HAD GROCERIES, BINS & OTHER STUFF I SHOPPED FOR, SO I'M FAT & COULDN'T JUMP OVER THE SEAT TO FULFILL HIS REQUEST SO I ASKED TO GET OUT OF THE CAR & GO TO THE BACK SEAT & FIND IT FOR HIM. HE DEMANDED I STAY IN THE CAR & SAID NO & HE CHECK MY SONS ID. IT MADE NO SENSE TO GIVE ME 3 TICKETS & NOT ALLOW ME TO GET OUT OF THE CAR TO FULFILL HIS REQUEST,CAR TOW, HE'S PUNISHING ME FOR HIS REFUSAL.TO ALLOW ME TO COMPLY.CAN I HAVE THESE TICKETS DISMISSED? INS & REG WERE NOT EXPIRED, LICENSE GOT RENEWD

PLEASE NOTE: I PERSONALLY DID NOTHING WRONG TO HIM, MY SON HOWEVER WAS ANOTHER STORY, I HAVE 20 YRS OF PSYCHOLOGIAL EXPIRENCE & WHEN I READ HIS BODY LANGUAGE, IT SCREAMED HOT DOG & HE WAS DETERMINE TO "GET ME" CAUSE HE COULDN'T GET MY SON. INSTEAD OF TICKETING ME , HE COULD HAVE BEEN COMPASSIONATE TO MY SITUATION, I WAS UNAWARE MY LICENSE WAS EXPIRED INSTEAD OF ME HAVING MY CAR TOWED HOME& COSTING ME MONEY I DON'T HAVE, HE COULD HAVE ACCEPTED I WAS BEING HONEST, NOTIFIED SURROUNDING
MUNICIPALITIES OF ME TO MAKE SURE I COMPLIED, & FELT GOOD ABOUT HIMSELF THAT HE DID HIS JOB & HELPED SOMEONE. INSTEAD HE CHOSE TO B MEAN & MAKE ME SUFFER. CAN I GET A DISMISSEL BASED ON THE ABOVE FACTS? THANK YOU ALL WHO CAN HELP ME WITH THIS!

1. Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

4

Best Answer

Answered . I think you should consult with an attorney who handles traffic cases in Municipal Court in the State of New Jersey who can look at the tickets and advise you confidentially as to how you should proceed with your case. You may need to go to trial before the Municipal Judge against the prosecutor if you don't accept a plea deal. Good luck with you case.

2. Steven Todd Keppler

5

1

Answered . First of all: kindly turn off your caps lock. It's easier to read when you don't write in all capital letters. Thanks.

Second, your son should be getting into staring contests with police officers. While there's nothing illegal about that, it does invite unnecessary scrutiny...as you've learned.

As to your question, an officer can ask you to remain in the vehicle if he believes his safety is at issue by you getting out. (I'm not saying it's a reasonable thing to be concerned about under the circumstances, however.) That said, you informed the officer you'd lost your pocketbook, indicating that you didn't have the papers to show him. Getting out and checking the back seat for something you just told the officer you'd lost seems like a wasted exercise.

If you were cited for an expired license and didn't show insurance or registration at the scene, the officer SHOULD have had your car towed. If he didn't, then he cut you a break.

If you have all the proper documentation, and it was all valid @ the time of the stop, you should go to the municipal court where you were pulled over on your trial date and discuss the matter with the prosecutor. He/she will likely amend down the summons to a ticket for failure to display papers, a $54 fine with no points (you may get more than one.) If he doesn't make that offer, or a better offer, then when you are before the judge, plead not guilty and tell the judge you're hiring a lawyer.

then hire a lawyer.

3. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

4

Answered . Inform the prosecutor when you get to court. He will probably offer a plea bargain. You either accept or go to trial, where the judge will hear from you and the police, and make a decision.

4. James Alexander Abate

Pro

3

Answered . I believe you have asked this question a few times. The answers remain the same.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364
  5. Mark M Cheser

Pro

3

Answered . You have repeatedly asked this question. The answers are the same. The charges will likely be downgraded to failure to provide documents. Your license was expired. Why would the State drop the expired license ticket? The officer is permitted to run your plate and find this information. There is case law right on point. If you gave the office a difficult time on the street it normally will result in unfavorable situations. These are not serious tickets if you show the prosecutor your valid documents.