Can I get my summer visitation schedule extended with my son?

Asked about 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

My son lives with his mother in Connecticut, and I live in New York. We have a visitation in place where I get him every other weekend, for a few hours during the holidays, alternating winter and spring breaks, and three weeks in the summer. She is now taking me back to court and trying to reduce my summer vacation time to two weeks! I actually just discovered it would be possible to have him anywhere from 4-6 weeks during the summer especially because I live far away, and don't have him that much during the school year which the extra time would equal the parenting time. I was told I could have a consecutive four weeks or split it up in two sessions where I can have him two separate times for 2-3 weeks long. Is this true? Her lawyers are telling me that a judge wouldn't grant this?

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

2

9

Answered . It is possible that you can get the summer vacation extended by the court, and certainly you can always have it extended by agreement. Whether the court would grant your request if the mother disagrees depends upon a number of individual factors including whether the current arrangement was initiated by agreement or by court order. I suggest you have a confidential consultation with an attorney to review all your options, and perhaps the attorney can negotiate more effectively on your behalf than if you attempt it yourself. Good luck!

2. Howard A. Schwartz

3

Answered . More facts would be necessary to make a determination. The more time you receive, the less time is available for the mother. Camp may also be an issue. You should speak to a lawyer in the state where the matter will be pending to discuss options. Good luck n

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

Answered . Consult with a lawyer in CT where the child is residing and where custody and visitation cases will be heard. You can find an lawyer through AVVO find a lawyer tab.