Skip to main content

Can I get my Social Security Number Changed ? And if I do, what would be the consequences?

San Jose, CA |

Ex had stalked me few years ago both in person & online. After reporting, a police officer had warned him over the phone. I am now thinking of getting my ssn changed. I have built good credit history etc. With the new ssn is it possible to transfer all my good standing records on the new ssn? I am also looking to be a medical student soon & will be applying for a full loan. And do I have to contact the local police office for them to pull up a report? Do they keep a record of it? Appreciate some advice & thanks in advance!

Attorney Answers 2


The Social Security Administration does not routinely assign different Social Security numbers. However, they will generally issue a new number to a victim of identity theft who continues to be disadvantaged by using the original number. They will also generally issue a new number in situations of harassment, abuse, or life endangerment, including domestic violence.

Because the purpose of the new number is to disassociate the old number from your identity, it is probable this may have an adverse effect on your credit history. You should verify this point with the major credit reporting agencies.

To apply for a new number:

Step 1: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card.

Step 2: Gather documents proving identity, U.S. citizenship, immigration status, age (birth certificate or U.S. passport), evidence of legal name change; and evidence to support your need for a new Social Security number.

Step 3: Take your completed application and documentation to your local Social Security office or Social Security Card Center.

All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. The Social Security Administration will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Good luck!

Follow me on Twitter @joeroselaw. I answer questions on Avvo to try to help get you pointed in the right direction. But, I am not your attorney. Beware, my answers here are general, limited, incomplete, and can never be as complete, thorough, or accurate as one I would give to a client after hearing all of the facts and details of my client's situation and applying the correct law. Also, I am admitted to practice law only in California and all of my answers are intended exclusively for the Golden State.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Social Security numbers are usually not changed unless there is identify theft or some other such reason. Not routinely done by Social Security Administration.

my colleague has accurately and very thoroughly described the process to change your Soc. Sec. #.

The content of the this submission is intended to provide general information on the topic presented, and is offered with the understanding that the author is not rendering any legal or professional services or advice. This submission is not a substitute for legal advice. Should you require such services, retain competent legal counsel.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics