Skip to main content

Can I get my seized money back from a drug case if my charges were dismissed without prejudice

Emporia, KS |

I was charged w/6 felony drug charges, my charges were dismissed without prejudice before I ever went to court for unknown reasons. The money they took was actually from bail bonds since I was a bail bondsman. They knew this money was from that. Since my case was dismissed can I get my money back that they seized? I had received a notice of a asset forfeiture hearing but I did not attend. My charges were dismissed after that hearing. Also am I able to write bonds again in my county since my charges were dismissed? Or will the judge not give me permission?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I am not a practicing attorney in Kansas, yet, a civil asset forfeiture procedure is separate from any criminal case, generally. If one's criminal case is dismissed, such person may request a hearing on asset forfeiture in a civil court of jurisdiction, especially since you state that"the money they took was actually from bail bonds since I was a bail bondsman. They knew this money was from that."
So the Petitioner, in that case, you, must show that the assets were from the legitimate sources.
" Since my case was dismissed can I get my money back that they seized? I had received a notice of a asset forfeiture hearing but I did not attend."
You did receive a Notice and did not attend such hearing for some reason. Naturally, no one could force you to facilitate that, yet if you want to use a legal process to reclaim your money, you need, at the very least, comply with the legal procedure to do that.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


If the money was taken merely as evidence it should, in theory, be returned. In practice however this may be difficult. SInce the charges were dismissed without prejudice the state can refile them. If they intend to the mnoney is still evidence. An attorney may be able to negotiate the return of the money or you may have to file suit.

If the money is subject to forfieture, as seems likely from your question, the dismissal has little to do with whether you get your money back. The state can proceed with forfieture even if they never filed charges, even if you were found not guilty. You really need the assistance of an attorney to fight this. SInce you skipped the hearing it may be too late. Consult with an attorney immediately.

The judge will decide who gets to write bonds in his county. If you do not like his decision you might be able to file suit butyou would need to speak with a contracts and business lawyer to find out.

Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer